I’m pretty sure I’ve professed my love for apples and cinnamon before, but if I haven’t I LOVE apples and cinnamon, there’s just something extremely comforting about the combination. Admittedly I was a ‘bit’ generous with the cinnamon but feel free to not go as crazy as me if you not that keen on cinnamon, or swap it out for ginger. These have obviously make it into a bagel (if you follow me on Insatgram, you’ll know), but they also work really well for snacks, helping me survive long days at school when I just need something sweet and satisfying.
I’ll keep the rambles short and get onto the recipe!
Makes 16 squares
- 112g oat flour (or just blended oats, it’s the same thing just waaay cheaper).
- 70g oats.
- 30g raw buckwheat groats (or the same weight in oats).
- 48g coconut sugar.
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- Cinnamon – to taste.
- 64g solid coconut oil.
- 45ml Walden Farms Maple Walnut syrup (or other liquid sweetener).
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- 180g Walden Farms Apple Butter.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Add the coconut oil, do not melt this, and cut it into the mix. This basically means stirring with a knife. Add the syrup and vanilla and stir in.
- Press roughly ¾ of the mix into the lined tray and spread the apple butter on top, make sure you firmly push the mix into the tray as this makes it easier to spread the apple butter. Sprinkle the rest of the mix on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, it should be slightly crunchy on top. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tray, and the jam to solidify. Once cool cut into squares and store in an airtight container.
Macros (1 of 16): 94kcal, 11.1g carbs (0.8g fibre), 4.7g fat, 1.4g protein.