Bagel + French toast + a mini skillet…
To my surprise this actually worked. You can image my excitement as I took the skillet out the oven to find this beautiful golden baked French toast.
I know its counter intuitive to cut a bagel up into lots of pieces but trust me its worth it. The fluffiness of the bagel soaks up the egg mix really well so this baked French toast is light and fluffy with a crisp outside, just perfect.
You can experiment with adding fruit to the skillet before cooking. Blueberries and raspberries are amazing as they go squidgy when they’re cooked. My favourite toppings are Skyr yogurt and (no surprise) peanut butter, check out my review of PB2 if you’re looking for a lower fat peanut butter option.
- 1 Genius Gluten Free plain bagel.
- 1 egg.
- 1 tbsp Koko coconut milk.
- 1 packet Truvia.
- ½ tsp cinnamon.
- ½ tsp coconut oil.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut the bagel into approximately 1.5cm cubes.
- Lightly whisk the egg and the milk, stir in the cinnamon and Truvia.
- Add the bagel chunks to the egg mix and stir, making sure that all the bagel chunks are well covered. Leave to soak for 5 minutes, this is optional but I would really advise that you do this so as much eggy mix as possible is soaked up.
- Using the coconut oil, oil the skillet.
- Pour the bagel chunks and any remaining egg mix into the skillet, evenly distribute the chunks.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, cooking time will vary depending on your oven.
- Once cooked remove from oven and add allllll the toppings you like!
- Take a picture, post it to Instagram and tag @wavesfitness and use the hashtag #wavescreations
Macros (without toppings): 262kcal, 29.2g carbs, 11.2g fat, 8.4g protein.