Is it possible to improve on the amazing French toast, or eggy bread as my dad used to call it? Turns out it is! I mean what can’t be improved by nut butter…
After much Pinterest research and drooling over pictures of French toast, I decided to take a stab at it and make my own recipe that is gluten-free and refined sugar-free. I recently discovered BFree gluten free products and I’ve not stopped eating them since. I’ve found it really hard to find gluten free products that haven’t got the HUGEST ingredients lists ever and that contain sugar in a normal sandwich loaf. So you can imagine my joy when I bumped into BFree bread and found that they also tasted great!
So French toast lovers its time to up your game with this stuffed French toast recipe!
- ½ tsp. coconut oil.
- 2 slices BFree bread.
- 1 egg
- 60g strawberries.
- 1 tbsp. nut butter – I used Nuts ‘N More Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter.
- 1 packet Truvia
- 1 tbsp. milk – I used Koko Dairy Free coconut milk.
- Whisk together the egg, Truvia and milk in a shallow bowl or dish and set aside.
- Chop the strawberries into thin slices; spread 1 tsp. of nut butter on each slice of bread. Put an even layer of the strawberry slices on one of the slices of bread leaving a 1cm gap at the edges (so it’ll stick together better). Reserve the remaining strawberries for topping.
- Place the other slice of bread on top creating a sandwich. Press lightly so it sticks together.
- Place the sandwich in the egg mix and soak, flip and ensure the sandwich is completely coated.
- Cook in a medium heat frying pan using the coconut oil. Pour the remaining egg mix (the bread doesn’t always soak it all up, annoying I know) over the sandwich. Cook for about 5 minutes each side until golden and crisp. When flipping it helps to slide a thin spatula underneath and hold the sandwich together with your finger as you do the flipping.
- When cooked remove from the frying pan and serve with the remaining strawberries and 1 tsp of nut butter.
- Take a picture, post it on Instagram and tag @wavesfitness and #wavescreations
Macros: 317kcal, 13g fat, 32g carbs, 8g fibre, 18g protein.